Southern Africa More Back-Road 4x4 Trips Atlas and Guide from the Cape Town-based Map Studio in an A4 paperback format, with detailed descriptions of 10 recommended multi-day trips shown on GPS compatible maps, plus an overview road atlas of the whole region.
The 10 recommended trips, as listed below, are each introduced by a summary of main points and are accompanied by detailed stage-by-stage driving instructions and descriptions of the sights. Each trip has a road map (scales vary according to the length of the trip) annotated with GPS waypoints, is illustrated with numerous colour photos, and has panels with web addresses for recommended accommodation, park offices, etc.
Also provided is a 7-page road atlas of the whole region at 1:2,900,000 approx, showing main road connections and highlighting national parks and other protected areas. Lists of packing suggestions, background reading and three pages of useful contact details are also included.
- Addo Elephant NO, Mountain Zebra NPCamdeboo NP (8 days, 774km)
- Tankwa Karoo NP, Karoo NP (5 days, 1171km)
- Mac Mac Summit Route, Motlatse Canyon Panoramic Route (2-3 days, 71km)
- Mapungubwe NP, Waterberg Meander, Marakele NP (7 days 781km)
- Eastern Cape: 11 Mountain passes (3 days 624km)
- Back-roads Kruger NP (1 day, 48km)
South Africa – Namibia:
- Namaqua NP, Ai-/Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park (8 dyas, 977km)
- Kgalagadi’s Wilderness Camps (10 days, 250km)
- West-central Lesotho (5 days 454km)
- Southern-central Mozambique (13 days (2120km)